Friday, August 23, 2013

First Email


We received our first email from Elder Giles today! He still has his wonderful sense of humor and is loving his experience in the MTC! Here are some excerpts from the email:


I know my way around the MTC and I really like it here. In my district here are the San Antonio missionaries and the Colombus, Ohio missionaries (the same mission that Seth is in! Seth could possibly be training one of these kids in a few day!). I thought that was pretty cool. There are 5 other people in my room. Elder Moss & Elder Butterfield, Elder Hill & Elder Paulsen (Colombus), and then Elder Lee, who is my companion.

I fly straight to San Antonio at 9:05 a.m. on September 4th. I know it's early, but I'll still try to call. If no one answers... I will come home from my mission. 

This is only my second full day here. To be honest the first day wasn't that bad at all, I think I was still just in the moment and too excited/nervous to feel anything else. Yesterday was a really good today, but I had a few times where I thought things like, "I wonder what Chumlee is up to?", "What am I doing here?", and  "I hope my friend, Craig Gottleib, is staying safe".

I got your package just a few minutes ago! Along with all the letters people have sent me so far (oh yeah, today is my P-Day). Thank you very much!! haha I was at dinner eating and my district leader brought all the mail to our district, I think I got the majority of everything he had. I love my family and friends so much!


The food here is waaaaay chill. haha the only bad thing about the food is that our district eats the first every meal, so I have breakfast at 7, lunch at like 11 and then dinner at 4:30. Dinner at 4:30? they must be out of their minds. I go to bed starving because my gut is used to digesting pounds of carne asada every night. Hopefully there is a Del Taco or Rancherito's close by in my first area, i'm not sure how much longer my stomach can hold out. 


I have learned a lot so far, more than I that I would within 2 days. I think I learn a lot because I actually care and want to know as much as I can. Like, in school, I didn't give a care how many times "pi" can get divided or what Newton's "theories" were. Pi sucks and Newton's ugly. I think of everything I have learned so far, the thing that has stuck with me the most is to not study up too much on the lesson or what you will say or stuff like that, but get as in-tune with The Spirit as you can, because The Spirit will guide you to know what to say when you need to say it, and The Spirit will ultimately let the convert know that what I am preaching is true.

All and all... I love it here. I love being a missionary and I love wearing the name of The Savior of the world over my heart. I am constantly overwhelmed with how powerful The Spirit is here. I don't care about the number of baptisms I have. I just want others to be able to feel The Spirit, to know that they have a Father in Heaven who is constantly watching over them, and that they can be with their families forever. I am so thankful for the testimony I have of these things. I hate being away from each of you. I love each one of you more than I can express, but I need to teach others that they can be with their families forever. Wish me luck as I search for those who are looking for truth, looking for peace and looking for happiness. I love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment