Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11 Email!

Family, 
 
Yeah, Gladys Knight was awesome, that was really fun. We got a CD of her and her choir, and now that's all we listen to in the car. 

I was at our Bishop's house for dinner on Saturday night, all the Bishopric was there, and I was looking around and realized that I am really going to miss everyone here when I get transferred. I heard that a lot of missionaries get homesick for their first area. There is a family here named the Theusen's (haha yeah, like the name Jeremy used to call me) They are awesome. They are genuinely cool people and they always invite us over. I was telling Sister Theusen about how my birthday is in a month and she is making me my favorite dinner, I tried to explain to them what Beef Tidbits were.. but I just looked like an idiot.

We were having dinner at Air Force Village (that Air Force retirement home) a few nights ago. I was talking to Sister Potter, the sweetest, funniest old lady there ever was. She was asking me if I have a big enough blanket hahah I told her how I just had one that I found in the closet because I didn't bring one. She said that,"that's not gonna do" and how it's getting colder at night. So at church yesterday she brought me two big blankets haha.

Thanksgiving is coming up, missionaries try to see how many dinners they can have that day.. the record last year was 8. Wish me luck.
 
The work is hard, but more fulfilling than anything else I have ever done. I am so glad that I am here. This mission has already taught me so much about who I am, and the father and husband I am going to be. The thing that keeps me going is knowing that I will be with you all forever, and these people here don't know that. I'll be honest, sometimes it's hard. For example, last night at like 7:30 we were driving our bikes past The Base to get to our last appointment for the night. There was a group of about 6 kids my age just leaving a restaurant, they were laughing and having such a good time. It was late, it was dark, I was exhausted, I had a headache... for a second, I missed that. I missed hanging out with my friends and having a good time, until we got to our appointment. It was 3 guys that are my age. They all 'party' and don't want to change, one of the guys asked me, "why do you do this? what happened in your life that made you want to do this?" I answered that question for myself as I answered it for him. I bore testimony about trials and forgiveness, love and heartbreak, and the loss of a close friend. Every single person in the room was crying, it was one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had.
I love ya'll
 
Love, Elder Giles
 

No comments:

Post a Comment