Monday, September 29, 2014

September 29 Email!

Ya'll,

Here's a re-cap of my week:

DeLeon Family: We found the DeLeon family when we were stopping by someone else who lives at their house, but ended up talking to Vanessa instead. Vanessa has two kids Joseph(12) and Roxanne (11). I was in another area the first time that we taught them the Restoration, but they loved it and accepted to be baptized.
I went over there a few days later with a Priest in the ward, Ross, and we taught them more about the Book Of Mormon and the importance of Church Attendance. It went very well. Joseph (12) has been taking The Book Of Mormon with him to school and reads it whenever he has free time! (What Deacons in the Church do that?!)
At the end of the lesson, I asked Vanessa to say the prayer. She has to ask a few questions on how to start and  end the prayer. She started by saying "Dear Heavenly Father.." and then there was silence for probably 10 seconds. I thought she forgot what to say next, but then I heard her crying. As soon as she started to pray, the Spirit hit her very strong! She went on to say a very powerful prayer. Pleading for forgiveness, thanking God for us and for her family, and asking God if the Book Of Mormon is true. The Spirit was very strong that night.
Derek Nixon: Derek Nixon is the definition of "bro" haha he is one of the coolest people I have ever met. He is now a movie producer, but when he was younger we has in a lot of movies. A pretty popular one was called "The Jerk Theory", he is the 2nd main character. ALSO, he was in a movie with Mary Kate & Ashley, and he kissed them.... needless to say, he's a pretty cool guy.
We went over a few days ago,and he was bragging about him movies, we started talking about the Book Of Mormon. He had a few questions, but we seemed to answer them all pretty well. Before we ever even asked him to read it, he just blurted out, "You know, I have seen this book so many times; all the hotels I go to. I have never wanted to read it before. Something is telling me to read it today, I will read this book in it's entirety". That something he felt was The Spirit. It is so amazing to watch how the Spirit works with people from all walks of life.
Meet The Mormons: We had a huge meeting with missionaries this week ( A 'Zone Conference' for those of you who know what's good). It was really awesome, I love being able to see all of the missionaries in the mission and talk with them. I think I know the majority of the missionaries in the mission, and they are all so sweet! Anyways, at this meeting we all got to watch a special screening of "Meet The Mormons". I'm sure you have all heard of that movie, if not shame on you. It is about 90 minutes long and it shows 6 different Mormon families from all across the globe. It's a great way for people to find out what we are actually about. It will be coming to theaters across the world, and 100% of all the proceeds will be going to the American Red Cross.
Go find the page on Facebook and like it, post it, twitter it, snapchat it, or whatever else people are using to waste time nowadays. Get the word out. This is the first full-length movie produced by the Church going to theaters.
We are preparing the world for the second coming of the Savior, more now than ever before.
Life-Long Dream: The top of our ward boundaries are up in the country of Texas. A few days ago Elder Shorts and I were cruising along passing by a bunch of deer (there are legions and legions of deer here), when I had a great idea.
We pulled off the road, and tried to lure the deer to come to us, with no avail. Luckily I remembered that I bought a huge bag of caramel corn from a Boy Scout just weeks earlier. I grabbed the new opened bag of caramel corn, and started tossing them on the ground by the car. (This is all happening as I'm sitting in the passenger seat with the door open). Slowly, and timidly, the deer started to feast on the abundance of caramel corn. One deer was more courageous than the others and was closest to me. I grabbed a big handful of corn and held it out. He gave it a good sniff, thought about it, and then started to eat the caramelized corn from my hand.
I was happy.

 * * * * * * * * * * * *

I love ya'll very much!
Thank you all for writing me
Love, Elder Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment