Monday, July 6, 2015

July 6, 2015

Kinfolk,
Yes I remember the "wall of fire" from the Ontario firework show. I've actually been telling a lot of people about it this week haha as they ask me about the Fourth of July. I just remember how you can feel the heat from the fire, there's no way that's legal.  Celebrating the Fourth of July in Texas is something that can only be experienced. Every street is draped with American flags every few feet. I also saw multiple people in all American flag clothing, including a man running shirtless carrying a large American flag. Now that I think about it, I think just about every single holiday is bigger and better in Texas. However I'm glad to hear that y'all had a great Fourth of July weekend and that everyone was safe.
That's great that you're staying longer, mom, in Ontario to help assist grandma. Please tell grandma (graham cracker) that I love her and she's in my prayers.

The weather has been unusual here for this time of year. It really hasn't been that hot, it actually feels really cool. Which is nice compared to the last two summers I've had here in Texas.

 
We had some remarkable experiences is this week with the people we are teaching. If you remember, Tui and Jody are a couple we've been teaching for a few weeks now. Tui is a returning less active returned missionary, who still has a strong testimony of the truth. Jody is extremely prepared for the gospel. She perfectly fits the description of those "who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it" (D&C 123:12). Jody has decided to be baptized, but they are living together without being married. So, the next step is to get them married! We went over to visit with them on Wednesday evening. When we walked into their house they were boyfriend and girlfriend, but when we walked out they were engaged! Haha! They have a tentative marriage date for August 14th, which means Jody has a baptismal date for August 15th!  They truly are a wonderful couple and we have already seen growth in them individually and together as they've been learning and living the Gospel. We're excited to continue to watch as they more fully live and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I have now been in Castle Hills ward for six months. All the people we've been able to teach and be a part of their conversion have continued to strengthen their conversion to the Lord. For example, Danny Cavazos: yesterday at church Danny said the opening prayer, he passed the Sacrament, and he also bore a powerful testimony! Angelita is always one of the very first ones in the chapel reverently waiting for sacrament to begin! Brother Boyd is always wearing a nice looking suit with a big smile on his face! Gilbert Navarro loves the gospel. He has received the Aaronic Priesthood recently and he continues to strengthen his understanding and testimony of the restored gospel! Evon Kardos is such a saint! She hit the ground running when she got baptized and she's an incredible member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However, unfortunately she's moving to another ward. 
 
We received transfer calls last night: I will be staying in Castle Hills!! That's five transfers! The last 7 1/2 months of my mission here in Castle Hills. I am so grateful to be staying I truly love this area and all the people here. Elder Hendricks will be coming home this week. He will be returning home a few months short of two years, because of medical conditions. He lives in Bountiful. He has been and is a phenomenal missionary! He has become one of my greatest friends. I love him.
I'll be receiving my final companion, for my final 6 weeks.... He will be another brand new Zone Leader, I'm excited!
 
I've been convinced that the Priesthood of God has been restored to the earth. By that very Priesthood families can and are sealed together forever. It is upon the keeping of our covenants which enables those promises to be fulfilled. I know this is true.

Love, Elder Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment